Wednesday 19 September 2007

It's been quiet for a bit

I haven't posted much lately for a variety of reasons. I was going to post last Saturday when I got a further rejection from the latest literary agent on my list but I didn't as I find I sometimes struggle to make the time. I promise to myself I will try harder. I have spent most of the last three months scheming and dreaming about new ways to identify readers for my novel and generate interest in it, the blog being initially the main thrust of the campaign. Of late I must confess that I've lost a little faith. I entered the blogoshere with enthusiasm and abandon but the drive to generate traffice to my blog/blogs and eventually to my novel has proved to be a slow process with little real progress. Despite the daily effort I have put into earning credits from surfing to "drive traffic to my site" little progress has been made.
I don't want to sound despondent but let me put something into perspective;
I spent two years devoting every spare moment to my story, revising it, teasing out the narrative and crafting it into what I thought was the best I could make it, I then ordered proof copies and passed them around my exceptional friends for their comment and constructive suggestions, I started an email campaign to try to direct people to my lulu page
http://lulu.com/content/607829 and then I set up two blogs, this one and also http://virtualbooklaunch.blogspot.com/ where you can find the first chapter and for the last three months I've spent as much time as I could; joining traffic exchange schemes, surfing for traffic and promoting my book in the ways outlined in earlier posts. It is fair to say I have not yet made a significant impact on the literary world and this in no way reflects any diminishing confidence in my novel, everyone who has read it has loved it but today I awoke to a story on the radio that has given me cause to rethink.
Wedginald, a piece of cheese that is maturing somewhere in Somerset is featured on cheddarvision.tv, a site that has attracted over one and a half million visitors, you're right I did say 1.5 million people. They have all visited a website depicting a wedge of cheese maturing. A lifeless lump of mouldy milk has, over the last year, attracted visitors far in excess of my aspirations let alone my actual pathetic numbers. Today was an exciting day for "Wedginald watchers" a disembodied hand was going to enter the picture to take a sample for testing, I must confess I took a sneaky peek.
It was an inspiration and so I intend to set up a new site, "Drying paint" I'll paint the front of my novel and invite the 1.5 million "Wedginald watchers" to watch the paint dry, maybe between the excitement they could read my f**king book.

2 comments:

Andreea said...

Don't give up :)
As long as you have faith in your novel you shouldn't give up (and yes I know it's easy for me to say).

Off to watch Wedginald now :) (I wonder who came up with the name :) )

Unknown said...

Never despair. The best way to acquire a literary agent is to have someone else qualify you to them. That means getting published somewhere and somehow else. Write for magazines, journals, contests, etc. Just prove to the agent that "someone else" likes your work enough to publish you.

René Garcia
--Creative Writing and Such at:
www.workingauthor.com