Sunday 15 July 2007

Big Brother


Where's Alistair?

I had quite a disturbing experience today. Well I'm not sure disturbing is the correct word but whatever the word it gave me pause for thought. Being "fairweather" cyclists, opportunities to get out on our bikes have been severely hampered by the torrential rain that appears to be the feature of this summer. Despite a severe weather warning and a terrible forecast I woke this morning to sun "cracking the flags" and so hurriedly got bikes out of shed so that C. and me could get in a bit of quick exercise before setting out for today's family visiting. We have a circular route of about four or five miles that we regularly do, with opportunities to add deviations and little bits here and there on the ride if time permits.
Today I had got a little bit ahead and so rode into a side street for a look around to give C. time to catch up. It's nice to look at people's front gardens, to get ideas for mine if I ever suddenly find the time or inclination to become a gardener. My eye was initially caught by posters in the window of a house at the mouth of a cul-de-sac. It was a double fronted house with two regular sized front windows each bearing the same picture of a face and some words.
Having been, until recently a seriously committed and enthusiastic political campaigner I was intrigued by this. After all there is no by-election going on where we live (there is one in a neighbouring constituency since Tony Blair scuttled off the ship he may have scuppered), no reason that I could think of why someone would be sporting posters. I wondered if it was maybe a special birthday or some announcement of a forthcoming summer fayre. When I got close enough to read them both posters encouraged passers by to "Vote for Liam to win Big Brother".
Now, maybe the residents of that house are relatives or friends of "said" Liam, whoever he is, but it did strike me as significant.
For anyone who doesn't know Big Brother is a British reality television show involving a number of self-obsessed, egomaniacs trapped by choice, in a house together, for a long time and forced to behave like circus beasts while their reactions and inter-actions are broadcast to the nation to be observed by viewers who have nothing better to do. The resident with the posters I assume is a fan, relative or post-modern agent provocateur. At least it's a creative way of articulating enthusiasm.
Only two months ago we had an election across the entire district I live in, an important one, (they all are). During this process I bemoaned the fact that there wasn't a single political poster up in anyone's window. I didn't include myself in this for reasons that I may expand on in later posts but that election was characterised by a lack of enthusiasm or interest by both the electorate and my fellow local activists, who, I think it's fair to say, have lost faith in our national political leaders. We are all getting a little tired of politicians being more interested in their careers than their ideals, more interested in how they "present" rather than the people they represent, politics, after all, shouldn't be about career but about conviction. The publication of Alastair Campbell's Diaries and the obscene and sycophantic publicity and promotion it has been given by the BBC, this week hasn't helped.
For anyone who doesn't know Alistair Campbell is a self-obsessed egomaniac who doesn't live in the Big Brother house but who is a "spin doctor" (that's someone who massages the truth to make it look like it's a different shape) and was the principal spin-doctor for the Blair government. (In fact if you read or listen to the diaries you'd be forgiven for thinking it was all his idea!).
Yesterday was Durham Big Meeting, the most important day in the year for many of us, it is a festival of working class solidarity, an army of brass bands and Trade Union banners parade proudly through the town; a reminder of past achievements and a celebration of the gains and progress made by workers over the years. It's an opportunity to remind ourselves that collective action and organisation can make, and has made, things better for all people who are oppressed, in need or in dispute. Alistair Campbell wasn't there or if he was I didn't spot him. Just as well I guess. Mind you I didn't see Liam, from Big Brother, either, whoever he is. Maybe him and Alistair were off forming some new political party. Maybe I accidently pedalled past the launch. Liam, if he wins Big Brother, to go for Prime Minister next. What do you think? Unfortunately the idea's not as ridiculous as it may once have sounded.

No comments: