Tuesday 24 July 2007

Nothing much happening.

The purpose of this blog, when I was inspired to start it by my friend http://catcalls13.blogspot.com, was to create a "whispering" campaign about my novel. A way of getting it talked about while I look for a literary agent. I even fantasised about it getting talked about in the circles that literary agents move in, "Hey Tarquin, have you heard about this guy who's written a novel and is blogging about it?" " No I haven't Lance is it any good?" " I believe so, it's about a young teacher who inherits a villa from his aunt and goes off to live on the Greek mainland where he discovers some dark secrets about the past." "Oh bloody good show!"
I am naive enough to think I was the first person to think of it but hey!
Using the power of the net, I would engage visitors to my blog with charming posts and they would immediately click over to my contents page at http://lulu.com/content/607829 to buy or download the book. To be honest that hasn't really happened yet. It's true I am getting visitors to my blog, a healthy number, from all over the world, in fact but they don't seem to stay for very long according to my statcounter and as a consequence presumably don't read it and therefore don't realise that they are supposed to go to my Lulu content page and get access to the book.
To be fair I'm sure they all have busy lives and are probably frantically trying to "build their downlines" for some Internet money-making scheme or scam (it's a whole new world with it's own vernacular out here in the blogoshere).
As a result I am beginning to have a strategy crisis and associated rethink. Maybe I need a downline.
What larks!

5 comments:

Dana said...

You should join some online fiction writers forums. That's what I did. For instance, www.alongstoryshort.us has a short fiction writers group. We read and critique each other and submit our stories to the website for publication. Hey, it's a way to get your name out there.

good luck on your book! I can't wait to see it in hardback!

neil griffin said...

Thanks Dana, I'll definately check this out. I appreciate your message and wish you luck with your projects as well

MsCatMinder said...

If its true that people dont stay long enough to read about the books avilability at lulu.com , why not add a comment on your description of the site ( right of page ) , saying simply , download the novel here lulu.com so even the quick visitor will know what you want them to do !

Michelle said...

Best of luck with your book Neil. I convene a writers' group and so I know exactly what you are going through as our members experience the same problem with getting their work to a wider audience. And my blog is one of those non-money making sites where I place photos and humourous essays because it is my hobby. Keep at it, best wishes, Michelle

Martha's Vineyard a novel said...

Thanks Michelle I really appreciate you taking the trouble to comment and to visit my blog. I just had a brief visit to yours and will revisit later when I get home this evening. The blue moon photo is superb!
Neil